Have you taught your child know how to make a budget and stick to it? Budgeting is a fundamental personal finance skill that every child should practice and master before graduating to the real world. I suggested a simple 3 step plan for teaching your child to budget in a recent guest post over at BetterParenting.com.
Monday night, we rolled out a new budgeting feature on FamZoo that makes implementing that 3 step plan with your child even easier. Here’s what it looks like (you can click on each image to get a full-size view):
- Your Overview page now includes a Budgets section. By default, it appears just beneath the Accounts section. (Remember, you can rearrange the sections by placing your mouse over a section heading and dragging it to a new position.) Initially, it will be empty except for a Create Budget link. It looks like this:
- There’s also a new page for creating, editing and viewing budgets under the Bank tab. To get to it from the Overview page, just click on the Goto Budgets link at the bottom of the Budgets summary section. When you don’t have any budgets yet, it looks like this:
- If you click on a Create Budget link, you’ll see the Create New Budget form where you can supply a name and a description:
- After giving the budget a name and description (optional), you can start adding line items. Just fill in the description, cost, quantity, and frequency fields at the top of the page and click the Add Line button (or hit the Enter key):
- To edit, delete, or move line items around, hover over the item and click on the appropriate icon:
- It’s often helpful to edit a line item and add some explanatory text in the memo field, like this:
- You can add comments to your budget — perhaps to capture the inevitable negotiation process between parent and child and to capture any fine points of your agreement for future reference. Just use the field at the bottom of the budget page shown here:
- To edit or delete a comment, hover over it and select the appropriate icon like this:
- Once you’ve created a budget or two, they’ll appear in your Budgets summary section on your Overview page:
Check out the new budgeting capability in FamZoo, and let us know what you think.
As always, we’d love to hear your feedback.